Angeal Hewley (
honourably) wrote in
hiddenbygods2012-07-24 04:26 am
2nd ✪ video
Hello. [Angeal nods, companionably.] I hope everyone's been well. I've been busy in the fields, myself. Not that I mind the work, but after the rains, there was a great deal to do, and the crops do keep growing. That's good to see, that they grow, no matter what.
[He pauses.]
It can be difficult to remember things here, isn't it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that.
[He seems troubled for a moment, or maybe just thoughtful--it can be hard to tell, behind that somber expression. But he only wants to talk, and he might not be smiling, but his manner is personable, light.]
I think, more than anything, it's important to hold on to those memories we do have, to remember the people who matter to us.
[Another pause, and his expression softens further.]
When I was a boy, I had one friend I was closer to than any other. At first, I didn't think we would be friends at all. My family was the poorest in town, and his was the richest. I was a child, and I thought such things set us apart. I didn't go out of my way to talk to him, until one day, I was wandering through the forest outside of town, and I happened to catch sight of him. He was sitting by himself among the trees, and I thought to myself, he looks so lonely. Because he did. His family was richer, but I could see that he was much lonelier than I'd ever been. When I called out his name and waved, he turned to me and smiled, and I realized I'd never seen him smile before.
The difference between our families never seemed to matter to him. We were inseparable, after that day. There was hardly a time we were apart: playing in the fields and forests, fishing, or sleeping out under the stars. We grew up together. We taught each other so much.
There's a bond of understanding that can be forged with a friend that nothing can equal, or sever.
I'm sure you have people who are important to you. I wonder if you wouldn't mind telling me something about them. It could help us all to remember.
[He pauses.]
It can be difficult to remember things here, isn't it? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that.
[He seems troubled for a moment, or maybe just thoughtful--it can be hard to tell, behind that somber expression. But he only wants to talk, and he might not be smiling, but his manner is personable, light.]
I think, more than anything, it's important to hold on to those memories we do have, to remember the people who matter to us.
[Another pause, and his expression softens further.]
When I was a boy, I had one friend I was closer to than any other. At first, I didn't think we would be friends at all. My family was the poorest in town, and his was the richest. I was a child, and I thought such things set us apart. I didn't go out of my way to talk to him, until one day, I was wandering through the forest outside of town, and I happened to catch sight of him. He was sitting by himself among the trees, and I thought to myself, he looks so lonely. Because he did. His family was richer, but I could see that he was much lonelier than I'd ever been. When I called out his name and waved, he turned to me and smiled, and I realized I'd never seen him smile before.
The difference between our families never seemed to matter to him. We were inseparable, after that day. There was hardly a time we were apart: playing in the fields and forests, fishing, or sleeping out under the stars. We grew up together. We taught each other so much.
There's a bond of understanding that can be forged with a friend that nothing can equal, or sever.
I'm sure you have people who are important to you. I wonder if you wouldn't mind telling me something about them. It could help us all to remember.

[Video]
You're right. We should do everything we can to remember them. We should write down what we remember, too. Stories about them. How we met, the things we did together.
We shouldn't forget those things. [This comes partly from hearing people's troubles with memory here, the nagging feeling that something's missing in her own - and the memories she lost back in her world.]
[Video]
I'm glad you agree. There's not much that's more important than those memories. Writing them down's not a bad idea. I should see about getting myself some paper.
What are your friends at home like, Miyuki?
[Video]
[There's a touch of envy of that quality still; but it's not likely to get the best of her ever again.]
[Video]
Mine are rather talented as well, I'd say. If not always exactly approachable. Being good with people is a wonderful ability. [He's the most approachable of his friends by far.]
[Video]
It's selfish of me, but I wish they were here - no, I wish we could be together.
[Video]
I've been thinking about that. At first, I thought it would be best to be alone in a place like this and not drag anyone in with me. But then I realized that if they were the ones in a bad situation, I'd want to be with them to help them, so maybe it's not so selfish to wish that they were here.
[Video]
It seems nicer to think that way.
[Video]
If you knew your friend was alone somewhere, you'd want to be with them, wouldn't you? So they wouldn't be alone anymore. That's what friends do.
I know that if a friend needed me by their side, I'd always go. I'd be glad to have been given the chance to help them.
[Video]
[Video]
[Even though this might not actually be a good plan.]
There is someone from home that I'm close to here, in fact. It could be that one of your friends will arrive here, too.
[Video]
[Video]
[Video]
It's hard to ask, when we've just met, but would you help me? If you ever see a girl here, my age, Japanese like me, with her hair in buns and pigtails, please tell her I'm looking for her.
I'll do the same for you, if there's someone you're looking for especially.
[Video]
I'll gladly keep a lookout for your friend.
My friends are both SOLDIERs, around my age. One has shorter red hair, and the other has long, silver hair. They're both rather distinctive. They tend to make an impression.
[Video]
They might become guardians here, then? [Though Angeal himself had chosen farming... Well, Miyuki certainly won't object to that. There are many things she wants to also try aside from her studies.]
[Video]
Oh, I imagine they would. Neither of them have my taste for gardening, or cooking, or anything like that. They're both very proud. And tall. They can be hard to know, but they're good men.
[Video]
[Like she's meant to be able to - but can't, without her transformation items. She's decided to work hard to get those, and her powers, back.]
Video
[Moss frowns. The more he thinks about home, the more lonely he gets.] It's hard to think about friends and home when you know you can't get to them, isn't it? You must miss your friend.
[Video]
My friend and I are very different as well. We have some very different ideas about life. He's much more vocal and--poetic, you might say. He likes the city, and I prefer the country. I'd say we complement each other.
I do miss him, yes. I agree that it's hard, but it's good to have those memories, as well. I'd rather remember them, and know that I'm working to return to them.
Video
And you're right, it's definitely better to remember them than to not... I can't remember Berwald's face any more, and it bothers me. It'd be sad for everyone here if you did find a way back to him, but I'd be glad for you too.
[Video]
My best friend is Miyako-chan. In school she was always being misunderstood because she wanted to make sure all of the other kids were safe. She would often quote rules at them or take an action meant to protect them that the other kids wouldn't understand. I think she used to be too shy to explain herself... but she has grown out of that now.
[Had she ever! Miyako was pretty loud and outspoken now! It had been good to see that kind of transformation in her.]
We became friends I think because I was the one person who understood that she was just trying to help.
[Video]
It's good that she can speak up for herself now, but she was lucky to have had a friend who understood her from the beginning. A bond of understanding can make a difficult road easier.
[Video]
MaronEmi nodded, agreeing with every word of that. ]You must really miss the friend you were speaking about? Is that why you decided to tell us all about him?
I'm not sure why we have to forget important things like that here but if I ever forget Miyako-chan will you remind me of her?
[She already felt like she had lost so many important memories, perhaps even important people, that Emi didn't want to loose another. ]
I can do the same thing for you if you ever forget your friend.
video;
or possibly not so much, but at least this one isn't nonsensical. ]Important people, huh?
[ And as for the moral - a few incredibly important people come to mind, all of whom it's rather difficult (see: impossible) to choose one amongst. So he settles for something less obvious, an errant thought that's only occurred to him once or twice, and that he's certainly never had a chance to air out- ]
I never got a chance to introduce you to Aerith, but I guess I should say thanks, anyway. If you hadn't knocked me out of that reactor, I probably never would've met her.
That's a little something about two important people I remember.
Video
I see.
[Zack, you keep confusing this old man with all his memory loss. But he seems mostly nonetheless. He frowns, but only momentarily.]
Well, I'm glad to have been of service to you, Zack, even if the circumstances weren't ideal. As for this Aerith, you should tell me more about her, since I already know myself.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet her, if she's so important to you.
[Angeal hopes this is going to be romantic, because secretly he is a big romantic, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at his face (he thinks), so his secret is safe.]
Video
And in the meantime, we can all reflect on the seriousness of early onset dementia. ]
She's really great, Al. A total angel. I mean, the first time I saw her, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
[ So is that romantic enough orrr ]
I'll see her again, if it's the last thing I do- But I gotta hope it's not, since we've already got plenty of time to make up for.
Video; also pretend i didn't accidentally use Zack's name upthread ;_;
And once he remembers dumbapples, he will tell a story about them at you so hard!! And it will not make any sense. That'll teach you a very important lesson.]
Did you? Well now, this seems serious. An angel--she must be very pretty, I'm assuming. I hope you've been behaving like a gentleman.
[Well, Angeal is not complaining about a dearth of romance or anything. He might be teasing a little, though.]
I'm sure you will. I've never known you to give up easily, or at all. I hope you'll have all the time you want. So, other than her angelic nature, what is she like?
Video; DON'T WORRY no one saw that
Even though, if OG canon has taught us anything, they are always right.]Yeah, yeah. [ Obviously Zack is the picture of gentlemanly behavior. ] Gorgeous! Long, brown hair. Big, green eyes. The prettiest smile you'll ever see.
[ And his own is looking a little wistful, at the moment - it's been a lot longer than just a month since the last time he saw Aerith - but a little of it fades, as he shakes his head. ]
...Actually, the two of you'd probably get along pretty well. She's got a mean green thumb, probably even better than yours.
Video; okay, good; I'm just an old, forgetful man
He's still only in his 20s, you know!
But yes, of course he's also always right.
Angeal knows Zack has a good heart, so he's not worried about his behavior, honestly.] Well, I hope so. A SOLDIER should be honorable in all aspects of his life.
[Just had to throw an "honor" in there somewhere--but he's still teasing.]
She sounds quite beautiful. Hm, you know, I don't think I've seen you like this before. This must be very serious.
I should meet her someday. I'll have to give her some warnings about you. [Ha ha.]
If I must be beaten where green thumbs are concerned, I'm happy to lose to a worthy opponent. It's always a pleasure to meet someone else who cares about growing things.
Video; it's okay, grandpa, they'll take good care of you at the home
THAT IS ANCIENT]I remember! [ Because he definitely had not forgotten his honor. Or his dreams. Or what it feels like to have random snippets of LOVELESS just pop into his head at random because of all the constant repetition. ]
Wha- Warnings!? What's that about? [ Still not funny. Not funny!! Look at this deep, unprecedented offense - that kind of disappears completely in a second or two, when he nods his head, again. ]
Flowers in the slums, man. She can grow anything, anywhere, I bet. [ He says it like it's a challenge, quite proudly- And then scoffs a laugh, shrugging. ]
...I dunno, though. Maybe it could've been serious - but when I think about it, now, I don't even know how she's been. [ Or even how long it's been since the last time he saw her, which is equally perturbing, in its own way. ] I might've already missed my chance.
video; *sobs*
THAT'S IT, GET OFF MY LAWN.]I'm glad to hear it.
Well, there are probably a few things she should know. Just so she's aware of what she's getting into.
[Shhh, he's hilarious. Also, those LOVELESS quotes weren't his fault.
He raises his eyebrows slightly.]
I'm impressed. More than a green thumb, I think. It sounds like a special gift. I'm pleased to hear there's someone who can manage such a feat. The slums could use flowers.
[He knows very well what the soil of Midgar is like.
Not that he's quite cracked a real smile, but he sobers further.] There's no need to give up hope if you don't know for certain. It's just as likely that you still have a chance.
video;
COME AND MAKE ME]A few things? [ REALLY. Really. That's how you're going to play him, man? And he used to think Angeal was cool.
But there's no more time to stare skeptically at the image of him (or maybe that super serious look just gets to Zack, and that's why he brightens up a little). ]
Who said anything about giving up? Even if she's found some other guy, I'm not just going to forget about her. I promised I'd visit, anyway.
video;
OH, DON'T TEMPT ME, WHIPPERSNAPPER, IT WILL BE BROUGHT.]All right. One or two. [A pause.] Three or four at most.
[Angeal thinks it's more important to be honorable than cool. And also more fun to tease Zack than to be cool.
But for all his teasing, he's glad to see Zack cheer up, too. He's always been so full of life.] That's the spirit! Well, I'm sure she'll have a hard time finding another guy like you, in any case.
[That could be a compliment, or he could be teasing again, or both.]
And you should always keep your promises.
[Video]
As for the rest of his story?]
The Prince and the Pauper. [Rather flippantly.]